My journey to a healthier me

Tales of my life

Presqu’ile Fun Run recap (2015)

on July 20, 2015

Saturday, I did my fourth race of the year. A race held in Presqu’ie Provincial Park, which is not far from where I live.  It was put on by the Presqu’ile Point Lighthouse Preservation Society, and this was the first year for the race.  I’m always looking for new races to do, and I love it when I can find a new local race.

I’m used to doing races on Sundays, so it was a little weird racing on Saturday.  They had different events all weekend long throughout the park.

Earlier in the week, the weather channel has been calling for possible rain.  Not too thrilled with running in the rain, but as it got closer to race day, the weather changed. It rained Friday night, but had cleared up by Saturday morning.  The problem with that is the humidity that usually results.  It didn’t seem too bad when we left for the race, but I knew it could be a problem the hotter it got.

We had a small issue getting into the park, but thankfully we had gotten the with lots of time before the race started.  I wasn’t pre-registered for the race, so I wanted to make sure I got three early enough to get that done and have time to chill a bit before the race started.  I don’t know if it was because this was the first year of the race, but they seemed a bit disorganized when it came to registering and letting the racers know the route.  Hopefully next year they will have it worked out better.

The race had 2 options – 7k run or 5k walk.  I opted for the 5k even though I was going to run.  For the 7k, the runners looped around the lower part of the park; the 5k followed the 7k most of the way, but then cut through one of the camping areas so about a km was trail instead of road.  In the end, there was less than 2 dozen people running or walking.  

By the time the race started, it had gotten a little more humid.  I wasn’t thrilled about that.  But we were near the water and that helped a bit.  The runners started first, followed by the walkers about a minute behind them.  As I started going, I realized the course was not as flat as I thought it was going to be.  I don’t get to that park often, so I had forgotten what the road was like.  The whole thing was basically a series of small rolling hills with very small stretches of flatness. 

I had the walkers ahead of me in sight for much of the race.  I lost sight of the last one before the turn into the trail area.  As with just about every race I’ve done, there was an ambulance on hand in case of emergency.  As I was the last one on the course, they drove by me 3 times to make sure I was okay.  They even asked if I needed water or anything.  I had Gatorade with me, so I was okay.  

They said they marked the place where you turn into the trail with chalk arrows. I kept looking for them, afraid I had missed them.  It seemed to take forever for me to get to that point.  Finally I saw the place and made the turn.  It felt like I was almost immediately swarmed with bugs! I had sprayed bug spray on before the start of the race, but clearly not enough.  I felt like I was being eaten alive.  The trail was full of rocks and tree roots.  I had to carefully watch where I was going so I wouldn’t fall.  My running shoes are not trail shoes, so my feet were not happy.  I tried to go as fast as I could but it was difficult.  I kept second guessing my decision to do the 5 instead of the 7k.  At least with the 7k I would have stayed on roads.  For a while I didn’t think I’d ever get off the trail.  It seemed never ending.  And the bugs just kept coming at me.  I guess they liked the taste of sunscreen, bug spray, and sweat! 

Finally, I saw the road again and made the final turn towards the finish line.  Not long after I got back on the road, the ambulance drove by me fir the third time to check on me.  I was a bit annoyed at that point, but I think it was mainly because of the bugs.  A couple of bicyclists rode near me as I ran, and we chatted a bit.  That was kind of nice actually.  I had been by myself almost the whole race.

Finally I spotted the finish line.  Everyone else had already finished, but a couple of people stayed to cheer as I finished.  According to my Nike running app, it was actually 5.5k, but I finished in pretty good time.  I grabbed a couple of granola bars and some gels they had been offering to everyone.  I was tired and a bit sore, and it felt like I was covered in bug bites, but I was happy to have done it.  


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: